Friday, January 18, 2008

An Introduction to Bean Beetles

On November 28 I attended a workshop offered by Dr. Chris Beck (Emory University) and Dr. Larry Blumer (Morehouse College) during the NABT conference in Atlanta, GA. I chose to attend the workshop to learn about an organism that can be used for laboratory investigations.

During the workshop I also realized that working with these organisms, which are easy and relatively inexpensive to culture, would provide the life science teachers at my school with a "system" for collecting large amounts of data that can be used to teach statistical methods and tests. I hope the Bean Beetles turn out to be a good organism to work with!




I invited Dr. Beck and Dr. Blumer to our school to give a brief presentation about the beetles to the life science teachers and our students. I charged the students to review the literature on bean beetles and to come up with three "questions" they would like to investigate. I can't wait to find out what they come up with! Also, the teachers who attended asked some great questions to help them consider ways to use these organisms in their classes.


For very useful information about Bean Beetles, please go to http://www.beanbeetles.org/. This website has been set up by Dr. Beck and Dr. Blumer and is an excellent "go-to" for an introduction. If only someone could "discover" Mendelian characters for these critters - we might all be able to replace fruit flies for some of our genetic experiments!

This year I already have 2, highly motivated students who wanted to replace the fruit fly genetics lab with something that would enable them to ask their own question and find their own answers. Anyone else interested? If so, just find or email/message me (Ms. Allio)